Friday, September 6, 2013

just because i love him

                                                                           source:

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Cobblestone Concrete Pad


So first off I want to thank everyone for the positive feedback on our cobblestone project.  I really didn't think it would be so popular.  I hope you are just as excited as we are about our cobblestone concrete pad.  We used the same process but instead of filling in the gaps with dirt, we filled them in with concrete.
This is what it looked like after sitting all winter.
After all of our hard work...I DID NOT LIKE THE COLOR, or really anything about it. It was also evident where we had stopped and started. I remembered a product I came across at Lowe's and thought it would be perfect!

 (side note: I actually work in the Home Decor dept. at Lowe's)




This is such and easy product to use.  You need to remember to apply it to a clean surface, we used a TSP cleaner also found at Lowe's.  You just follow the directions on the bottle and have a push broom handy for scrubbing the concrete with.                                                                                                                         (no my legs are NOT in the picture)  

 First spray the surface off, removing any loose dirt/insects.

Second apply the cleaner and scrub with a broom. Don't worry about rinsing the cleaner off, that's how easy it is.
(yes, that is the real color of my husband's legs, hehehe)
Next, lightly spray the surface with water. This will keep the product from drying too fast. Now you're ready to apply the product. We chose  "Fieldstone" as the color and to be honest I thought it was going to be a deeper and darker color.
Because there are deep grooves, I went back and brushed the stain with a small brush. This helped to distribute the paint more evenly and help the character of the stones to show through.

\
We then rolled over the top again to give it texture.
It took about 4 hours and the results are great.  We are thinking of putting another stain on just around a few of the stones. Maybe this will give it that "Old World" look.

This project is just one part of a three-part project, so stay on the look-out for more project.
http://www.remodelaholic.com/

Monday, January 21, 2013

Chevron Side Table



Once upon a time, I bought a table off of Craigslist.
I added some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, and added a
chevron pattern found here. 




I pencilled the pattern on, painted and sanded it.


Added some bling and Voila!





Sunday, September 2, 2012

DIY Landscaping Curb



As you know we have been trying to get our yard in for a while and do it under budget.  We decided to put in our own concrete curbing, and the result was great! So here is the step-by-step of one section of curbing we did.

First, you prep the area and set the forms.  We used bender board and 1x4's for the forms, wood stakes (very cheap) come in a bundle.  Place the stakes two feet apart unless when placing them where the bender board is, these areas need more support due to the flexibility.


Next mix your concrete and place in-side the forms.




Next, using a trowel, shape the concrete to expose only the cream. This will make the surface smooth.
You can remove the forms when the concrete is somewhat firm.



Next you may want to put in expansion joints. This is where the concrete will most likely crack when it does expand. Space these points out 4-5 feet using a small trowel, cutting only half way through.

Use an edging trowel to shape the expansion joints and edges of the curbing.

This project cost came to $18.00 (just over a dollar a foot).





Saturday, September 1, 2012

DIY Lemonade Stand

This is a short story of a lemonade/candy stand.  My girls wanted to make some extra money so they decided to sell lemonade.  But I thought to myself if they're going to do this then we need to do it right (he he).  Thank goodness I thought about this before my husband returned from work because before he had stepped foot into the house I had him working on the stand.  I know it sounds like I am a slave driver but really I just knew it would only take him an hour or so to build it.  Plus I was helping us utilize all of the extra lumber hanging out in our garage. :)
 
 
Using a pencil and jigsaw he went to work.
 
 
I used Valspar spray paint and chalk paint to finish it up.
The final product completed in one afternoon.
 
 



Monday, June 11, 2012

Teacher Gift 2012

So the end of the school year is already here for us...CRAZY!    We had some great teachers this year. 

Here is our teacher gift.  Yes it may be a little cheesy but hey it works!  Not to add that it was super easy and fast.




Let the summer begin!















Monday, May 14, 2012

DIY Faux Brick Wall

This post has been in the making for about....ummm...two months.  I changed my mind a number of times on what I wanted the end result to be. 


We started with these faux brick panels that we purchased from Lowe's.  My husband cut them and fastened them to the wall.  This is where I thought (to myself of course), I really don't like the look.  My husband said I couldn't take them down.   So marriage is all about compromise and  that's what we did.  He would take 3/4 of it off and add a "rustic" looking board & batten on the lower half.  But first I painted and sanded... and painted again...and sanded...again!  I had some killer blisters on my hands after.


Half-way there!

Finally finished!



This is what compromise looks like in our house. 




Swidget 1.0

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS